Manchester City are said to be confident that they will be able to fulfil Sunday afternoon’s fixture against Chelsea, despite another player testing positive for Covid-19.
Pep Guardiola’s side have now had eight positive tests after an outbreak over the last week, while there have already been postponements in the Premier League with Fulham seeing games against Spurs and Burnley called off.
City returned another positive test from a batch carried out on Friday, with the club confirming that a player from their elite development squad was the unfortunate person to receive the positive result.
Guardiola and his side are said to have been tested again on Saturday, with more results expected before kick-off later on today.
As reported by The Sun, City spokesman said: “The Manchester City Covid-19 bubble underwent testing on Friday and one result has returned as positive from a player outside the immediate first-team squad.
“The player had no contact with the first team in the last 10 days. Everyone at City continues to wish speedy recoveries to all our colleagues who remain in self-isolation following their positive tests.
Guardiola stated ahead of the game: “The protocols are good, the rules are good but the situation is here.
“Right now, there are a lot of doubts about this pandemic situation, even the doctors.
“Sometimes you have to take the decisions, adapt day by day with the situation as it happens.