The DAAD is welcoming applications for its Helmut-Schmidt Masters Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance.
Helmut-Schmidt Masters Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance is a scholarship program by DAAD that offers outstanding students from developing countries the opportunity to obtain a Master’s degree in disciplines that are of special relevance for the social, political and economic development of their home country at German institutions of higher education.
Deadline: 31 July 2021 (annual)
Course starts: September/October 2022
Number of Awards: Not specified
Degree type: Masters Degree
Host institution(s): Participating institutions of higher education in Germany
Country of Study: Germany
Field of study
As it were, the scholarships are awarded for selected Master courses at German institutions of higher education listed below;
• University of Duisburg-Essen: MA Development and Governance
• Willy Brandt School of Public Policy at the University of Erfurt: Master of Public Policy (MPP)
• Universität Magdeburg: Peace and Conflict Studies (MA)
• Hochschule Bonn-Rhein-Sieg: MA Analysis and Design of Social Protection Systems (Blended-learning)
• Hochschule Osnabrück: Management in Non-Profit Organisations
• University of Passau: Master of Governance and Public Policy
• University of Potsdam: Master of Public Management (MPM)
• Universität Passau: Development Studies (MA)
The scholarship award is open to candidates from Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa, Latin America; Asia and the Pacific, Western, Central, South-Eastern Europe; Eastern Europe, Central Asia & South Caucasus; and the Middle East and North Africa.
The scholarship award is exempted from tuition fees but is worth up to monthly payment of €) 61 to eligible selected applicants.
Also, the scholarship contributes to health insurance in Germany, a study and research subsidy, appropriate travel allowance, rent subsidies and or allowances for spouses and or children – where applicable.
N.B: Prior to their preferred study programmes, all qualified applicants will receive a 6-month German language course.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, applicants must satisfy the following requirements;
• A conclusive account of the applicant’s academic and personal motivation for the study endeavour in Germany and for choosing and prioritising the courses of study
• An account of the applicant’s perspectives upon returning to their home country or region
• Higher education degree obtained with above average results (top third of graduates)
• Language certificates (requirements vary depending on the respective course of study)
• Political and/or social involvement (see above ‘Target group’) is considered an advantage
• Evidence of internships and/or professional experience is also taken into account positively
N.B: The following groups are not eligible;
• Applicants who have resided in a country that is not included in the DAC list of developing and emerging countries for more than 15 months at the time of the application deadline
• Applicants who obtained their most recent higher education degree more than six years before submitting their application
P.S: All Master courses have additional requirements that must be fulfilled by the applicants before he/she will be considered for the offer.
More on Eligibility
° Applicants must indicate that they are applying for the DAAD Helmut-Schmidt Masters Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance Programme
° Applicants are advised to apply and submit their applications for either of the selected Masters courses to the respective universities only – not to DAAD.
In your best interest, please visit the scholarship official website – link below – to access more details on how to apply. All the best.